Thursday, November 3, 2011

Week 10

Field Experience 

In my last field experience with my first graders, they did not use any technological devices. The only minor one I could think of was when a few students used CD players to use as listening tools to help guide them along with their reading. Not everyone got a chance to use it today but I am most definitely sure they will get their own opportunity within the next few days. It’s a great resource to have in the classroom if the teacher is unable to read aloud to the class as a group, they can listen to the CD reading the story to them. 

Technical Skills

A technical skill that I recently learned was how to use Microsoft Publisher. I have never opened this up before but wanted to see what it was capable of doing. It is a great resource to have because you can create greeting cards, brochures, newsletters, postcards, and even calendars! All of tools I previously mentioned are great because teachers can hang these up around the classroom to help children with any previously learned materials or use them as a reference when needed. I can definitely see myself using Microsoft Publisher more often for my classroom but also for any everyday life thing as well. 

Weekly Reading 

The link that I listed above comes from eschoolnews.com. It discusses how this one researcher Nicholas Carr believes technology might be returning us to Stone-Age thinking. Technology is changing the way we think because we have all of these wonderful resources we don’t need to use think as much and we are going away from innovation and progress. Schools are libraries are now sometimes viewed as an afterthought as a resource tool because students have access to almost everything and anything because of computers and technology. His main point is that technology changes the way we think and I couldn’t agree with him anymore. I thought it was a good point because before I read this article I never thought like that. After taking some time to think about it, he brings up many valid points.

No comments:

Post a Comment